School Innovation & Improvement Plan

School Improvement & Innovation Plan At A Glance

Camelot Elementary School | Fairfax County Public Schools | Region 2

End of Year SMARTR Outcome-READING

At the end of school year 2019, all students in grades 4-6 in the special education subgroup will either pass the Reading SOL or will make SOL growth (e.g. low below basic to high below basic, high below basic to low basic, low basic to high basic, or high basic to pass) or EL growth.

Looking by name and by need, at the end of school year 2019, 67% of students in grade 3 in the special education subgroup will pass the Reading SOL.  The other students will make at least minimum progress on the individualized reading learning targets (since there is not an opportunity to show SOL growth as 1st time SOL-takers).

At the end of the ’18-19 school year, all students who were identified as Tier 2, or Tier 3 readers (including our focus on our ELs) at the beginning of the year will make minimum growth on their learning targets.

Strategy 1

For all students reading below grade level in K-6th,teachers will write specific, individualized learning targets that will be progress monitored and adjusted throughout the year.

Strategy 2

Anecdotal notes will document Tier 2 student responses to instruction (delivery of the learning targets/teaching points)

Strategy 3

“Responsive Teaching”--Word Study

Use formative assessment to respond to students Tier 1 word study needs.

End of Year SMARTR Outcome-MATH

At the end of school year 2019, all students in grades 4-6 in the special education subgroup will either pass the math SOL or will make growth (e.g. low below basic to high below basic, high below basic to low basic, low basic to high basic, or high basic to pass.)

Looking by name and by need, at the end of school year 2019, 67% of students in grade 3 in the special education subgroup will pass the math SOL.  The other 33% will make at least minimum progress on the individualized math learning targets (since there is not an opportunity to show SOL growth as 1st time SOL-takers).

Strategy 1

For all at-risk students receiving special education services for math in K-6th grade, teachers will write specific, individualized learning targets that will be progress monitored and adjusted throughout the year.

Strategy 2

For all students in K-6th grade, with differentiation for students receiving special education services for math, teachers will read, study, and implement specific “power routines” that incorporate the use of visual representations for building fluency and conceptual development.

Strategy 3

Teachers will build number sense, fluency and/or solidify prerequisite skills for grade-level math concepts in advance of teaching math concepts that are part of each math unit in the PPG.

End of Year SMARTR Outcome-INNOVATION

By June 2019, 100% of students will demonstrate increased proficiency of at least one level within 3 of 5 communicator skills utilizing the FCPS POG Communicator Rubric. (End of quarter 1 compared to end of quarter 4.)

Strategy 1

SLS 4.0 “Comprehension Through Conversation”

K-6 teachers and specialists will purposefully engage students in “talk,” in order to stimulate oral language development and build confidence

Strategy 2

All teachers (including specialists) will explore the POG Communicator Attribute and will be explicitly taught and students will have opportunities to practice these skills and reflect upon them.

All teachers will facilitate student naming and noticing of their communicator behaviors and growth.

Strategy 3

All teachers will plan and implement at least two PBL units during the school year aligned to content of their choice.   Teachers will emphasize the POG Communicator attribute as part of the PBL work.